BSc. Information Technology
The most basic information technology definition is that it's the application of technology to solve business or organizational problems on a broad scale. No matter the role, a member of an IT department works with others to solve technology problems, both big and small.
There are three primary pillars of responsibility for an IT department:
IT governance: This refers to the combination of policies and processes that ensure IT systems are effectively run and in alignment with the organization`s needs.
IT operations: This is a catchall category for the daily work of an IT department. This includes providing tech support, network maintenance, security testing and device management duties.
Hardware and infrastructure: This focus area refers to all the physical components of IT infrastructure. This pillar of IT includes the setup and maintenance of equipment like routers, servers, phone systems and individual devices like laptops.
Even though an organization`s IT department handles many different functions and plays a critical role in keeping things running, Andrey Prokopchuk, head of IT at Belitsoft, says the perfect IT department is the one you aren't even aware of. This means that they are able to automate and create processes for many of their daily tasks, so that the business continues to run smoothly. The ideal IT department is also aligned with the business`s goals and transparent in its processes in a way that the rest of the business can understand and provide input on.
IT career opportunities
Now that you know the general responsibilities of an IT department, you may be wondering what the individual roles within are. Here are some of the positions that you`ll find in many IT departments:
Computer support specialists work on the front lines troubleshooting any technology issues including software issues, computer crashes and hardware trouble. These specialists may also assist senior-level IT members with larger-scale network issues.
Network systems administrators focus on the big picture of the network system, security and performance.
Computer systems analysts work behind the scenes to marry IT with smart business solutions. They usually specialize in a particular industry while working for a technology firm or work directly in an industry, like finance or government.
Information security analysts are responsible for the security of an organization`s computer networks, conducting tests and developing company-wide best security practices.
Keep in mind that some of these roles will change depending on the size and scope of the company. In smaller companies, most of your daily work may revolve around relatively mundane things like troubleshooting printers, but on the other hand, you may be required to be more of a jack-of-all-trades with broader knowledge. With large firms, IT employees have a more diverse array of potential focus areas-some may work upward into management and strategic planning roles, while others may pursue specialized areas like cybersecurity.
1. For WASSCE/SSSCE/GBCE
You are required to possess Six (6) subjects comprising three (3) Core subjects, including English Language, Mathematics, Integrated Science/Social Studies, plus three (3) relevant elective subjects.
Grading System for Holders of SSSCE/WASSCE/GBCE
2. Diploma certificates from recognized universities assessed to be equivalent to HND with second class lower division may be considered for admission into level 100 or 200 in their area of specialization depending on the subjects passed. The applicants must note that Diploma in Business Studies (DBS) qualification cannot, in itself, be used for admission into Valley View University.
3. GCE Advanced Level: Passes in three (3) subjects (at least, one of the passes should be Grade C or better). Also, the applicant must have had credit passes (Grade 6) in five GCE Ordinary Level subjects including English Language, Mathematics and a Science subject (for non-Science students and an Arts subject for Science students).
4. HND holders from recognized institutions with at least Second Class Lower Division may be considered for admission into level 200 or 300 in their area of specialization depending on the subjects passed from transcript. The applicant must have acquired a two-year post HND qualification working experience.
5. Baccalaureate (from French-speaking countries), and other Foreign High School Diploma equivalent to WASSCE. Such certificates should be evaluated by the National Accreditation Board. Other International Students having equivalent qualifications may apply for admission. Foreign Certificates must receive authentication and equivalencies from the Ghana National Accreditation Board. Foreign students must have their high school certificates/diplomas translated into English if they are not written in English.
6. Registered General Nursing/State Registered Nursing Certificate/Diploma holders for BSc Nursing.
7. Mature Students: The applicant must:
a. Be at least 25 years old;
b. Show proof of age with birth certificate or any legitimate documentary proof of birth date;
c. Provide introductory letter from employer or show any other proof of employment;
d. Applicants must pass the University`s Mature Entrance Examination comprising English Language, Mathematics, and General Paper. In lieu of entrance examination, the applicant should show proof of credit passes in English and Mathematics in WASSCE, SSCE, GCE or any other nationally recognized standard High School level examinations.